I have gone down the stairs backward for the past 5 days.
My legs have yet to forgive me for what I put them through this past weekend.
Post marathon I immediately recovered with chocolate milk and a banana, but who runs 26 miles and doesn’t want to indulge a little?
Not this girl.
Part of my pre-race preparation included assembling an army of potential lunch spots suiting any craving that my come within (very short) walking distance of the finish line.
Ultimately, I decided upon a Chicago style deep dish pizza that fulfilled all my hopes and dreams. I’d run another marathon just to get ahold of that cheese-stuffed slice.
Sorry, this week isn’t actually about pizza.
That was cruel. But, it is about letting up a little; riding the wave of hard work and the success that follows.
There are very few instances in life where your work ethic directly correlates to the outcome. So, when that happens it is a time to celebrate.
And what says celebrate more than chickpeas, right!
Ok, stay with me.
I’ve given myself a full seven-day prescription to eat anything and everything and not move an inch.
Within that free pass has been ice cream, Chinese food, and chocolate. Lots of chocolate.
As it turns out, old habits are hard to quit, and I threw in some chickpeas and craisins in my chocolate and it transformed into a recipe worth sharing.
Whether you are coasting off a well-executed race or just need a little treat in the afternoon this combination of sweet, crunchy, salty, and fruity is sure to satisfy.
Chocolate Chickpea Cranberry Bark
Yield: 10 servings
- 1.5 cups (1 can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly dry chickpeas between 2 paper towels. Then, place on a baking sheet and toss in a drizzle of olive oil.
- Roast in oven for 25-30 minutes or until crunchy. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add coconut oil and dark chocolate.
- Melt in microwave in increments of 30 seconds until fully melted.
- Combine melted chocolate, roasted chickpeas, and cranberries and gently stir until fully covered. Pour onto a lined baking tray. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Then, crack apart and enjoy!
Nutrition Information (1 serving)
- 169 calories
- 24 g carbohydrates
- 8 g fat
- 3 g protein