I was sitting on a patio of a downtown restaurant for my best friend’s bachelorette party. This was three years ago and I’ll never forget what she ordered.
Buffalo Chicken Dip.
As an entree?!
Is that allowed?
My world of food rules was rocked. But, then I looked down at my own plate and realized it wasn’t all that different from the sandwich I had ordered.
Protein and cheese and carbs.
If I ever assemble a cookbook I think that would be an appropriate title.
As I often find myself doing, I started to tweak this indulgent favorite into a nourishing meal. Take away a little fat and increase the protein. Subtract some grease and add some fiber.
Before long, I had an appetizer turned meal transformed into a wholesome dinner that still feels like an appetizer. Perfect.
**Bonus tip: While recipe testing I also played with adding in chickpeas to this dip. It also turned out great but, ultimately, my chief taste tester husband favored the recipe below. For the alternate version, puree a can of chickpeas with the ½ cup hot sauce, spices, and ¼ cup Greek yogurt. Stir in cheeses and chicken and cook the same!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Frank’s red hot sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp parsley
- ½ tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and mix.
- Grease and 8×8 pan and add the dip.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until heated through.
- 213 calories
- 3 g carbohydrates
- 12 g fat
- 23 g fat