I’m not a pasta person. I didn’t grow up eating it and I’ve always felt like the noodles are a little slimy and bland. Anytime I try a new pasta dish, it leaves me feeling overly full and underwhelmed.
But, during marathon training, I turn into an everything person. On a high volume day it isn’t unusual for me to eat two breakfasts (one of which is usually last night’s leftovers), lunch, snack, dinner, snack, and a dessert.
The other day I saw a picture of cold pasta salad and had a very rare craving for noodles that I couldn’t shake. I knew if I was desperate enough to crave pasta, my carbohydrate stores must have been critically low. Immediately, I went home, wiped the dust off my noodle jar, and got some water boiling. This recipe was purely the fruit of a 12 mile urge for cold, creamy, tangy pasta. I added some greens and rotisserie chicken and the meal was complete in 20 minutes!
Chicken and Spinach Garlic Pasta Salad
Yield: 3 servings
- 3 cups whole wheat pasta noodles
- 2 shredded chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 ½ cups spinach
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Cook pasta noodles according to package instructions. After draining liquid from cooked noodles, rinse with cold water to bring temperature of noodles down.
- In a small bowl add greek yogurt, mustard, vinegar, garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Mix together with a fork until completely combined. If dressing is too thick, add 1 Tbsp of water until you have reached desired consistency.
- In a large bowl, add cooled pasta noodles, shredded chicken, spinach, and dressing mixture. Mix until noodles are evenly covered with dressing. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as needed.
Nutrition Information (per one serving)
- 388 calories
- 49 g carbohydrates
- 26 g protein
- 8 g fat