In college I used to walk an extra 15 minutes across campus every Wednesday at 11:30 to have miss Juanita prepare me the best caesar salad wrap I’d ever had. Her signature was the ‘you can’t close the wrap before it splits’ kinda wrap. Aka the only wrap worth eating.
It burst with crisp lettuce, seasoned chicken, croutons, red onions, and the juiciest dressing. It was the perfect combination of hearty and refreshing.
Wednesdays were ‘mid-week’ runs for our team, so after a light 10-12 mile jog I always looked forward to my appointment with my favorite wrap making professional.
Flash forward and it is now week one of marathon training. I have consumed approximately 8,432 gnats, obtained a self-inflicted 6-inch gash from itching said gnats, and got hit by an overthrown baseball from a little league game. I needed a pick-me-up and my Wednesday mid-week had me dreaming of those veggie loaded tortillas. I’m sure no Juanita, but these chicken caesar salad wraps hit the spot!
If you want a lighter version or looking to repurpose leftovers, you can omit the tortilla and have an equally delicious salad.
Chicken Caesar Salad Wrap
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1-2 slices bread of choice
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 small chicken breasts
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Roma tomato
- ½ red onion, diced
- 3 Tbsp caesar dressing
- 2 whole wheat flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Wash and dry all produce.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes. Melt 1 Tbsp butter and pour over bread cubes. Toss with half of the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir until coated.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and the remainder of the Italian seasoning. Add a drizzle of olive oil into a large pan and add the chicken breasts. Brown the chicken on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Place seared chicken on one side of a baking sheet and bread cubes on the other. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the bread is crispy, about 5-10 minutes. If the bread crisps before the chicken is done, remove the bread and put the chicken back in the oven.
- While the chicken is cooking, chop the lettuce, tomato, and onion. In a large bowl add chopped vegetables, caesar dressing, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Toss until coated and combined.
- Thinly slice the chicken and add one to each tortilla. Divide the salad up and place on top of chicken. Top with a few croutons and roll up the tortilla. If it doesn’t burst at the seems, add more!
- 489 calories
- 38 g carbohydrates
- 31 g protein
- 21 g fat