I live in a small town with a big family and it is not at all uncommon for a 3 pm text to come through planning out a 5 pm potluck dinner. Since the square miles of the town barely outnumbers the number of family members, it is easy for everyone to get together at the drop of a hat. The downside of these impromptu dinner parties is constantly coming up with new, mass-produced recipes to bring. I find it particularly challenging because I basically have a tattoo on my forehead saying, “I’m the dietitian,” so I have an aura of pressure to bring something healthy, delicious, and innovative all at the same time. Truthfully, I love any stage I can get to prove that eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring, complicated, or gross.
This is also a traditional southern family where the entree is always fried and the vegetables usually have the word ‘creamed’ before them. I’ve learned to play by the saying “bring the food you would want to eat” since you can regularly find me with 90% of my plate filled with what I walked in with.
This recipe for Greek Bruschetta checks all the pot luck boxes of quick to assemble, easy to multiply, and tasty to all palates. It also completes my additional requirement of containing nourishing ingredients that I don’t mind eating like a complete meal if need be.
Yield: 24 slices
- 2 whole-grain baguettes or country bread
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 1 cup hummus
- Red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Lemon zest (optional)
- Slice the bread with a serrated knife.
- Brush both sides of the slices with olive oil.
- Toast on a baking sheet in the oven at 400℉ for 10-15 minutes or until crispy.
- Add red onion, cucumber, tomato, feta, a drizzle of olive oil and red wine vinegar into a bowl and toss until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, spread a generous amount of hummus on each bread slice and a spoonful of the vegetable mixture. Garnish with chopped parsley and lemon zest if desired.
Nutrition Information (per 1 slice)
- 103 calories
- 6 g carbohydrate
- 4 g protein
- 7 g fat