I have five weeks left of marathon training and I’m sidelined with a hip injury. Running high mileage weeks with high volume workouts leaves you with a high risk of injury. It adds up, I know that. But, with high risk comes high reward. That has been my mindset this training block as I was hoping to take a break from marathon training in the coming year. I was prepared that I may not feel great every day and that this season was going to be full of sacrifice.
What I wasn’t prepared for was the huge feeling of loss when you see your dream slip and your hard work go to waste. As each run gets cut shorter and shorter, my mind drifts to all of the 5 am summer runs, the afternoons spent in the gym, and the early Friday night bedtimes.
I haven’t given up, but I am a realist. I know hitting my goal time after missing two key weeks of training is only going to hurt me. But, I am turning my miles into pool time and icing, stretching, and strengthening like it is my full-time job.
I’ve done my fair share of wallowing this week. Even though it is 94 degrees out, I decided to take solace in a big bowl of soup. I’ve made this enchilada soup twice in two weeks and I still can’t get enough.
If you’re feeling down, make some chicken enchilada soup, pick yourself up, and get ready for a better day ahead!
Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2, 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can corn
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp oregano
- 3 chicken breasts
- Salt & Pepper
- Press saute or brown on the instant pot. Add red onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and oregano. Add the chicken breasts and secure the lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Pull out the chicken breasts and shred it with forks. Then, add the chicken back to the soup and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top the soup with cheese, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and/or greek yogurt!
- 305 calories
- 36 carbohydrates
- 28 g protein
- 3 g fat